Basic procedure for adding an artist link:
- Investigate the site to insure it meets our guidelines.
- It must contain erotic content, and at least
a dozen images that are free to view for the casual surfer.
- It must not contain images that present minors, bestiality,
or other images declared legal obscene in the United States.
- It must not be a porn star or vanity site who's primary
purpose is to sell videos or photosets. This can be tricky
to judge, but we are looking for artists and organizations
presenting an "artistic" vision.
- Make a note of whether the site links back to us.
- Examine the image or images presented by the artist:
- We want to select an image that reflects the artist's
- As these images will be small, we want to select one (and
maybe crop the image) to present a viewable image. "Busy"
images with lots of detail, when shrunk down to a small
size become blobs of color.
- We want to select an image that appeals to our readership.
- Prepare a "D" size image.
- No "_D" suffix is used for these images,
instead we use prefixes:
- "L_" for a link to an artist site.
- "LG_" for a link to a gallery site.
- "LM_" for a link to a museum.
- "LO_" for a link to an art organization.
- "LBS_" for a link to a book store.
- Artists names are presented last name, double underscore,
first name, as in "L_Spicer__Jeff.jpg".
- NOTE: A second image for the Dispatch e-news may also
have to be prepared, as the e-news cannnot present images
of male genetalia or "extreme" S&M content.
A "_Dispatch" suffix can be used for these images
to help differentiate between the two.
- Prepare the description:
- The description should be 35 words or less, and contain
the website, artist or gallery name. This will be used for
one of the two links. It also will be used to place the
entry in the correct alphabetical order.
- At times a description is not provided or is very short.
In that case, feel free to improvise.
- Create the entry:
- Find the appropriate page and spot for entry on our Links
- Create a duplicate of the entry above or below.
- Add the image and description.
- Link the image to the artist's website. Highlight the
website or artist name and also link that to the artist's
website. Be sure that both links open in a new browser window.
Using the target="_blank" tag is our
- Create an anchor to that entry. This will be used to direct
the artist to their link in the confirmation letter and
also used in the Dispatch e-news to announce the new entry.
The anchor typically uses the image file name without the
- Check the links on the site, of course..
- Create the Dispatch e-news entry:
- The image for the e-news should link to the image used
for the link entry unless a secondary image is required
for just the e-news. In which case, upload the secondary
image to the newsletter's 0000_ArtistLinks directory. A
red "x" next to the image notifies the newsletter
editor that an alternate image is being used.
- Both links in the e-news directory should point to the
entry in our Links Pages.
- Notify the submitter of the link that it is on the website
and will be announced in a future Dispatch e-news. A suggested
template follows, but adjust accordingly.
- Dear xxxx,
Your artist link has been posted on the Tom of Finland Foundation's
Artist Link pages at:
<link to the entry>
Please check your link for accuracy and content.
We appreciate the link you placed on your site leading to
We would appreciate a link to the Foundation's website.
A text link is fine, but we also have banners you may like
to use at:
We ask that you link to our entry page at:
<Say a few brief, nice words about their website.>
Yours in brotherhood,
- Update the Links Spreadsheet
- Link #: A unique sequential number
- Website Name (Text Order): i.e. The Happy Bachelor
- Website Name (Sort Order): i.e. Happy Bachelor, The
- Website Link:
- Link Back: blank=unknown, Y=yes, N=no
- Our Website Presentation Link: pagename#anchor
- Artist Name: Artist, gallery or museum name.
- Real Name: If the artist uses a pseudonym.
- Contact Name: If the artist has a webmaster or other person
handling their site.
- E-mail Address:
- Site Type
- Donation Date: If a donation was given for the listing.
- Donation Amt.: If a donation was given for the listing.
- List Start Date: The day the entry was first entered
- Description: The description we use for their entry.
- Notes: Anything unusual that we want to remember